Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

Councillors and Staff

Contact your Parish Council

To contact Fernwood Parish Councillors directly,  email them using the email addresses listed in the table below. Alternatively, if you contact our office, we will ensure your email is shared with all Councillors.

Post: Fernwood Village Hall, Rubys Avenue, Fernwood, Newark  NG24 3RS

Telephone: (01636) 613024

Email: [email protected]

Councillors (Listed Alphabetically) - Fernwood Parish Council has 7 Councillors.

Name About Parish Council email Role

Dave Mack

I have lived in Fernwood for 8 years with my wife Cheryle. We have five grown up children. I work as an engineer for a printing and photocopier company. You may have met me before while walking our dog Peggy. We moved here from Essex and have grown to love the area, and community. We especially like Newark's character, the market and all its independent shops.

When I first came to Fernwood I wanted to see what the community was up to so I joined Fernwood Resident's Association, later to become MyFernwood. Within months I had become Chair and built a great team. We organised Summer Fetes, Christmas Markets and the famous Christmas Fireworks.

Previous to arriving in Newark I was heavily involved in all things community. I was involved with the local school's parents' association, our local community association and was chair of a large local youth and adult football club.  As Fernwood expands, we will get new facilities but I want to make the most of what we have now as new facilities may take time.

[email protected]

Parish Councillor

Ian McGregor

I moved to Fernwood in 2016 and instantly fell in love with its friendliness and fabulous surroundings.

I enjoy playing an active role in the community and served alongside Dave Mack as vice-chair of Fernwood Residents’ Association.

In a previous life I was a ‘phone in radio presenter for the BBC in Kent and locally hosted the breakfast show on Radio Newark.

I’ve been very proud when asked to MC events here in Fernwood including the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations and most recently the fabulously fun Party in the Park.

And now a new chapter in which I look forward to serving the community as a parish councillor.

[email protected]

Parish Councillor

Neill Mison

Neill works as a freelance IT consultant working mainly in Healthcare and government contracts. He moved to Fernwood in June 2004.  He served as District Councillor at Newark and District Council for 8 years (up to May 2023) and previously on Fernwood Parish Council from 2009 until 2012.

Neill is married with two teenage children. He volunteers for a healthcare charity and is part of the Newark Half Marathon organisation.  He hopes to bring together his experience experience of community events and knowledge of local government to ensure Fernwood has a strong sense of community and a voice throughout the wider community.

[email protected]

Parish Councillor 

Chair

Leigh Rixon

My wife, Karen, and I moved to Fernwood in 2016 and since then I have grown a strong appreciation for the village environment and community.   I put forward my name for councilor so that I could use my knowledge of the social housing environment to help support the residents of Fernwood. I joined the Fernwood Residents Association which gave me a good understanding of the importance of drawing together and working with all the partners within our village.  My goal is to ensure that Fernwood continues to feel and look like a village with a strong sense of community.

[email protected]

Parish Councillor

Kim Shepherd

I have lived in Fernwood for since 2021 and love the sense of community in the village. I really want to focus on making sure we have an active and varied programme of events throughout the year, as well as spending the Community Infrastructure Levy funding to give real value for money for residents. I’m opening to hearing any concerns from residents and suggestions on improving our village! 

[email protected]

Parish Councillor

Vice Chair

Jim Weale

I have lived in Fernwood for 18 years.  As it was a very new development there was no Parish Council so  I joined the very first Parish Council and I have served as both Chairman and Vice Chairman over these years.   We wanted to bring a sense of community to Fernwood and as new residents moved in we wanted to welcome them.   We have become stronger as a parish and have taken our place as a voice in the wider community.

[email protected]

Parish Councillor

Mollie Weale

I have lived in Fernwood for 18 years and when we first moved here there was no Parish Council so I joined the newly fledged Residents' Association.   After a few years I was elected to the Parish Council and have been a councillor for 8 years.  I have always had a strong sense of community and enjoy helping residents with their requests and problems and  welcoming new residents to Fernwood.  As we are surrounded by ongoing development administration has become much more complicated but we have been lucky to attract younger people to the parish council, who also enjoy dealing with these problems. Over the years Fernwood has grown and trebled in size but is forward looking and innovative.

[email protected]

Parish Councillor

Last Updated: May 2023

Councillor Meeting Attendance Expected Present Percentage

Neill Mison

89%

Kimberley Shepherd

89%

Ian McGregor

100%

Jim Weale

100%

David Mack

100%

Mollie Weale

100%

Leigh Rixon

78%

Councillors Full Council Attendance Summary from May 2023 Election to date

Explanation of the Statistics Columns

Expected- The number of meetings that the councillor was expected to attend.

Present - The number of meetings that the councillor has attended.

Register of Interests

All Councillors must register their interests. Register of interest documentation is available on the Newark and Sherwood District Council website here: Register of Interest Forms

Staff

The Parish Council has 4 employees:

• The Parish Clerk/Responsible Financial Officer (25 hours per week)
  • Village Hall Manager (20 hours per week)
  • Administration Assistant (15 hours per week)
  • Caretaker and Maintenance Operative (30 hours per week)

The Caretaker and Maintenance Operative, Village Hall Mananger and Administration Assistant report to the Parish Clerk and the Parish Clerk reports to the Personnel Committee.